Sunday, August 21, 2011

Four Women (Nina Simone) by Kelly Price Marsha Ambrosius, Jill Scott, Ledisi



Jill Scott, Ledisi, Marsha Ambrosius and Kelly Price brought the house down as they musically embodied “Aunt Sarah,” “Safronia,” “Sweet Thing” and “Peaches.”
“Four Women” first appeared on Nina Simone’s 1966 album, “Wild Is the Wind” and addresses stereotypes of African-American women.  Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek recorded a song inspired by this called “Four Women” on their debut album Train Of Thought.


I usually end up impressed and disappointed all at once to see a tribute/cover at an awards show. Worse with how Divas of no relation tend to be miss matched with each other and the song. Need I go further and say award shows nowadays aren't what they used to be. Well I was done having a Jill Scott night already (she could put me to bed anytime, ehem), Sunday dinner had me slipping into a food induced coma so I was nice, and then out of nowhere...Four women just got owned. 

Don't get it twisted though, were talking Nina Simone here, this is how its done, grab a blanket...

No comments:

Post a Comment